The first couple of doors were pretty successful. Great chocolate candy and happy kids (and parents!). Then Jaed started to get lazy with the "trick or treat" and "thank you" part and Indi started saying it before she even got to the door so the person couldn't hear her. We started to fall apart as a team. SO we re-grouped and went over the expectations again which seemed to take care of it for the most part. One thing we didn't go over is that you only knock, not knock and then open the door. Jaed did it the first time. He knocked, turned the door knob and opened the door. Thank goodness the man was almost to the door. I was so embarrassed. We apologized about ten times and then had to have another huddle about that one forgotten rule. Indi did it the second time, but she just knocked and pushed the door which happened to not be closed all the way. Again, there were several "I'm sorry" 's and another huddle. Finally about half way around the block we had things under control.
There were two houses that gave out normal size candy bars. Thayne and I were shocked. A lot of other houses just put handfuls of candy in our kids bags. I was a prepared mom and had brought extra bags in case the kid's bags got to full. I had to empty their bags twice in to mine because they got sooo much candy. The best part was it was all GREAT candy. Does it seem like I'm a little obsessed with the candy part? Well, I guess I am. The priviledge of being a parent was in my mind as I thought about how I couldn't wait to get home and go through their bags with them and pick out the ones I wanted. When I told Thayne that he just rollled his eyes but guess who was right beside me digging in their candy too. THAYNE!!! Yep, he was picking out his favorites and putting them aside. I know, it sounds so childish and ridiculous but it was soooo much fun.
We gave the kids 15 minutes to eat as much candy as they could (we didn't tell them that though, we do have some parenting skills) and then we put the candy away for the next day. I got the girls ready for bed and we stayed in their room singing TONS of songs since they were both on a sugar high and Jaed got to stay up with Thayne and pass our candy out to the trick or treaters. Jaed had so much fun doing that. I hear him say to some kids that came to the door, "Do you want two pieces or seven pieces". One boy responded, "Two" and the other one took the offer and responded, "I'll take seven".
Halloween was super fun and WE all are enjoying our trick or treat candy!!!
(Indi as a beautiful princess!)

(Jaed as a ninja)

(Josie as a unicorn)
4 comments:
How cute Ally!! Hailey went as a princess this year also. Sounds like you guys had fun.
Oops sorry. That was me before, Christy. I forgot to add that I had the same white turtleneck under the dress on Hailey as well.
Halloween has never been one of my favorite holidays, but the candy treats always make the effort worth it as a kid, as a parent and even as a grandparent.
It is so nice to know you are teaching your kids Halloween manners, so many of the kids either forget them or have never been taught.
Love you guys!
Opps!! Forgot to put my name!!
Post a Comment