After I picked Josie up from school today she started to complain that her stomach hurt. I thought she might be hungry so I fed her lunch but the complaining didn't stop. Several times she was bent over in pain almost in tears. I asked her several times if she needed to "poop", but she always answered no. I finally gave her some tylenol but that didn't even help. Josie has a very high tolerance of pain so I knew that it had to be something that really hurt for her to keep saying "It hurts, mom, it hurts!". I called the Dr. and got her an appointment. I started to worry (paranoia) and think the worst. She wanted me to hold her, kiss her, rub her tummy, etc.. These are not typical requests from Josie. Finally we got to the Dr.'s office and they wanted her to pee in a cup so I took her in the bathroom and she pee'd in the cup and then did a HUGE number two. When she got off the toilet she said, "It doesn't hurt anymore, Mom!". WHAT?! That was it? All she needed to do was a HUGE poop and the pain went away? Hello...I'm a mother of almost 4 and I didn't get that? I wanted to leave the bathroom and go directly to my car, but I didn't. I went back to the room with Josie and we waited for the Dr to return while Josie was bouncing off the walls, laughing, talking and giggling. I wanted to tell her to lay down and act sick but I resisted. Finally the Dr came in and all she said was that her urine looked very clean and that she must just have an upset stomach. I agreed and we quickly left.
I was totally bugged with myself all the way home. How lame could I be? That's totally something a first time mom would do, right? When I was telling Thayne all of this he said, "Ally, you are mom that gets her kids into the Dr. when they say something hurts. I think that's great! There are a lot of moms who wait until it's so severe because they think it's nothing or it'll go away. You're a great mom!" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That is exactly what I needed to hear. I guess I would rather be safe then sorry. I'm sure I will have many visits like this to the Dr. in the future and probably be just as embarrassed but I'll know I"m being a great MOM!
2 comments:
You are a great mom, and it sounds like you have a great husband who knows it and supports you too!
I totally agree with Thayne and just be prepared because this sort of thing will happen again, just because you are a great MOM!!
Post a Comment