Well I came home tonight from my craft club and Thayne and Jaed were watching star wars. This isn't the first time Jaed has seen star wars so he was familiar with the movie and knew what was going to happen. In the very last part of the movie one of the main guys is in a light saber fight and he ends up dying. I look over at Jaed and tears are streaming down his face. I asked him if he was okay and he said, "I hate this part, Mommy!". It broke my heart. (I know most of your are saying to yourself, "He's too young for those movies!", well....try telling his dad that. I tried for months and lost the battle.) I looked at Thayne and I could see in his face he was just as concerned as I was. So for the next half hour Thayne and Jaed had a huge discussion on pretend, acting, and movies. I really think Jaed got it and understood that it wasn't real. Thayne has a great way of communicating with Jaed and doesn't stop until Thayne is convinced that Jaed understands.
After Jaed went to sleep I said to Thayne, "What do you think about what happened?" and Thayne mumbled something about Jaed being a little to young for that movie. I could have responded with "I told you so" but I've matured a little and decided that he knew I was right. I don't know if I'm mature enough not to bring it up in the future, though!
1 comment:
We have the same issue at our house - I may share your story with Greg to see if that will help dictate what he lets the kids watch!
Post a Comment