Jaed is getting at the age where he is starting to fight (or just complain) about our house rules. I mostly think this is because his friends are pointing them out to him and telling him that they don't have to do that. For example, Jaed has to be go to bed at 7:30 and his friend told him he was too old to go to bed at the time and that he doesn't have to go to bed until 9:30. Here are some other rules we have that his friends think are "stupid"
No sleep overs (unless there is an emergency)
No friends on Sunday
No friends over until chores are done
No movies unless we have seen them first
No playdates with other kids unless I have met their mother
I probably could think of more but these are the ones that have come up as "complaints" within the last little bit. My mom had TONS of house rules and I remember thinking the same thing Jaed is thinking now: "It's not fair!", "That rule is dumb!", "Why?", "I can't do anything!", etc.. We try really hard to explain why we have those rules but I don't know if it really makes him feel better. Unfortunately, the rules won't change because of the complaints because they are rules that we feel very strongly about but it still sad to see him look so sad. It brings back those days that I felt the same at his age.
No comments:
Post a Comment