Monday, January 15, 2007

Chores....

I have been given "jobs" to Jaed since last year and he does pretty well. I decided it was time for Josie to start getting "jobs" as well. One of Jaed's "jobs" was to unload the dryer into a basket (one thing I HATE TO DO!) and he did it fast and promptly. Well I thought that this would be a good job for Josie and I would give Jaed another chore. Josie seemed excited to get a job and was even more excited when she saw what it was. All I would have to say is, "Josie, go do your job please." and she would rush right in there and start. Unfortunately, it took her about 10 times as long as it did Jaed. Let me tell you why......she takes out one article of clothing at a time and says who the clothing belongs to and then delicately puts in the basket. Even when she is alone in the laundry room I can hear her saying "This is Jaed's.........this is Indi's" etc.. One time I wanted her to hurry up so I started helping her pull things out of the dryer and she started screaming, "NO, this is my job!!!" and everything I put in the basket from the dryer she would take it and put it back in the dryer and start over with one thing at a time. AHHHHHHHH!!! This is surely a trial of my patience. I want her to learn the importance of a "job" but she stinks at it in regards to time. I certainly don't tell her that and even compliment her with a tad bit of sarcasm and she is thrilled she's doing a good job and helping "mommy". I guess I should just be thankful that I don't have to fight her to do that. That will come later in life I'm sure.

Now Jaed......well his new job is to unload the dishwasher. At first he was excited and did it promptly and fast. But something happened.....cuz now he complains that it takes to long and then when I still make him do it, he starts playing games with everything he pulls out of the dishwasher. The utensils are swords, the cups are bombs, the plates are shields and whatever else he can find is a gun. It takes him soooooo long to finish but he sure has a blast doing it while I'm tapping my foot, pacing the kitchen and trying to keep calm while I wait to load it. One time I tried to help him a little and the next thing I know he was handing me dishes and ordering me around to put them away. Why and how I fell for it, I don't know.....but it won't happen again! I am starting to learn to tell him to do his "job" at a different time I want to load the dishwasher, so we are making progress. Thayne has to give him a talk about where things go about once a week because I start to find the cups in the pots and pans cupboard and the utensils in every other drawer but the one they belong in, but I think it's going to work out. I just have to keep remembering what my mom would say, "Jaed is 5 and you have to expect nothing else but a 5 year old job.".

Indi is dying for a "job". Almost everytime I ask her to do something (turn the t.v. off, shut the door, etc.) she asks, "Is tis my job, mommy?". I have to be careful how I answer that because if I say "yes" then nobody better EVER turn that t.v. off or shut that door but her or she starts screaming, "THAT MY JOB!". The job of throwing away her poopy diapers is not rewarding enough for her, I guess! You should all know how she feels about that (if you don't, read my Sept. 26th post and then you'll understand.). It is still a challenge for her and one she tries to get her siblings to do now. She's great at saying, "No not me, Jaed do it!".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read your blogs since last Wednesday,being in Arizona and all. Boy have I missed them. Your kids make being a Mom so much fun at least from a Grandmothers point of view.

Anonymous said...

The kids are too cute with their "job!"