Josie has this idea that the word "learning" is linked to no fun at all. Every time we would take her to school, me or Thayne would say, "Learn lots, Josie" and she would yell back, "I DON'T LEARN!" and walk off in a huff. When she would get in the car after school we would ask her what she learned that day and we would get the same response as before, "I DON'T LEARN".
Last week, after I picked her up, I asked her what she learned and she yelled, "I DON'T LEARN, I JUST PLAY!!" and then she started to cry. I asked her what she was crying for and she said, "You make me cry, Mommy. I don't want to learn, I just want to have fun!". I tried to tell her that learning was fun but she wanted nothing to do with the word "learn". I comforted her a bit and then let it drop. When Thayne got home we laughed about it but decided we better help her understand that learning can be fun.
That evening I was snuggling her in bed and we talked about things she does at school and everytime she said she did things that were new I told her that she was learning new stuff. At first she resisted but then she decided that learning was okay. The next morning I told Thayne to ask her what she learns at school and when he did she started to smile and said, "I learn to write my name and paint!!" YIPPPEEEE, it worked. She is ready to learn now!
2 comments:
Tyler is the same way! I may have to try your little "learning talk"!
Ally,
I always appreciate how you handle situations. You're an excellent mom!
Post a Comment