When we moved here from Utah I was shocked how much attention we attracted with three kids. But now that we have four the attention and comments come ten fold. I took the kids to the store the other day and decided to count how many times we were starred at (with a shocked look) and commented on. I lost count after 13 and that was just in one grocery store. Here are some of the comments we get when we're out and about:
"Are all those yours?"
"Look at all those redheads!"
"That's quite a group you got there."
"Wow, how old are they all?"
"Does their dad have red hair?"
"I"m sure you're glad school started!"
"You're a brave woman!"
"You've been busy, haven't you?"
"Looks like you might need another hand."
"Phew, I'm glad I'm done with that stage."
"Don't worry, it gets better."
"Are you having any more?" (and when I say yes, they are speechless. hehehe)
"You're brave to take them all out on your own!"
"That's smart to keep them in a cart."
I'm sure I could think of a lot more but these are the most recent ones that I jotted down. Sometimes if I'm not in the mood to hear the comment, I'll say what I think they're about to say before they will. Like, "Yep, they're all mine" or "I sure do have my hands full" or "I'm a brave woman!". Then they just shake their head in approval and smile. It certainly is an adventure every time we go to the store.
"
5 comments:
Try going to Lowe's...I've gotten "you do know how that keeps happening, right" several times from guys there. I think they are just nervous that there is a woman wielding tools with toddlers there =)
Yeah, I definatley get my share also. The only exception is when I'm at the zoo and there nobody has commented ever.
Q: Do they all have the same father?
That one is SO insulting so it deserves a comeback. Other than that I think that people assume that if they couldn't do it, then nobody could. Sorry lady, I'm not you and we're just fine.
A:Yes except the 1 that was fathered by your husband.
You seem to at least have a good attitude about it anyways...I think I would be SO bugged by all the questions and just resort to "it's none of your business if I'm having any more" or "Look, just because you don't like being a mom doesn't mean that I don't" or something nasty like that. I especially love the previous commenter's comeback...too funny!!
Ironically enough in Utah they wonder why you don't have more. "What? You've been married 10 years and don't already have 8 kids?!" BTW the 'spontaneity' you commented on hasn't been an active part of our marriage for the last 10 years. I just thought I might regret not doing something special for our 10 years!!
Ally,
You're a stinker! And that's why I love you! I can't say I to that stage yet where I receive comments. But I'll think of you when that day comes and smile.
Post a Comment