Monday, September 25, 2006

A whole new kid..

Jaed's teachers have caught on to the idea of rewards for good behavior and have implemented a reward system in class. They have all of the children's names on a chart and at the end of the day, if they have been good then they get a penny and a sticker by their name. They, then, use the penny to buy three skittles from the teacher. If they get 5 stickers at the end of the week then they get a toy (cheap one). Last week was the first week using this reward system and Jaed got 5 stickers! They use stop light colors to determine how the kids are doing. They all start on green and if they get a warning they get moved to yellow and if they still aren't behaving they move to red which means they don't receive a penny or sticker. Jaed got one yellow last week but still got his penny and sticker. I was so proud of him. He could still be kinda bad and settle for yellow everyday but he strives to get green! The teacher told me, today, that Jaed is like a whole new child. He listens, behaves and is a huge help. WHAT??? My little Jaed??? It's a MIRACLE!!! No, I'm just kidding. We have always known that he loves rewards (especially candy) and can really behave if he chooses to. The difference here is that his teachers are constantly reminding the kids to stay in "green" and so it's constantly on his mind. We tried rewarding him at the end of the day if he was good but I think he would forget about it and be naughty sometimes. I love his preschool. They really try to find out what works for the kids and what they can do to have an environment where they can teach and the kids can learn the best. It's a true relief to not dread picking him up because I didn't want to here that he was naughty. Now, when I go to pick him up, I just wondering if he just got a warning or not. Life is bliss (at the moment)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ally,

What is your email address, I have a question concerning UMP. Do you remember where the training disks we made?

chashimoto@slco.org