Many of you have asked how we know that sickos are visiting our blog. I'll do my best to try and explain it. I have recently added a new tracker that is very detailed (notice it on the left hand side of the blog). It tells me where the person is living (not exactly but close) and where they came from and what the last thing they looked at on my blog.
Within the last couple of weeks I have noticed that many individuals have googled the words "B a t h i n g B e a u t y" and one of the results was a post on my blog about my three girls taking a bath. Then after I saw a lot of people coming to that post I changed the name of the post and deleted those words in the body of the post but that didn't stop them. The picture of the girls must have been shared because I started to get a lot of people coming directly to the post without googling it which means that the link of the post was being shared and they came to the direct link to see the pictures. THEN...I noticed that they were coming to my site to see the picture only and not the post where the picture is found. SCARY!! That's when I started to get nervous and very freaked out. I went and deleted the pictures completely but that doesn't stop those nasty people who already have the picture and are (I'm sure) distributing it.
So, if you have a blog I STRONGLY suggest that you get the tracker I am using and keep a very close eye on who is coming to visit your site, where they are coming from and what the last thing they look at before they leave. If it says that they arrived from Google.com then you can click on that part and it will show you what words they put in the search engine to get to your site.
I hope that all makes sense. It's really hard to explain it in writing! Thanks for all your kind words and letting me know that I'll still have an audience if I end up password protecting my site.
8 comments:
Thanks for explaining Ally--I was going to email and ask you for this info!!
I am so sorry this has happened. But thanks for sharing about the tracker. It is a tough decision.
When I first started my blog my SIL was worried about this very thing and called to share her concerns with me. I poured all of the settings on the blog to see what my options were for a little privacy. I chose to not have it private but I did choose the option to NOT let people find me by using a search engine. And I chose not to let blogger list it with their highlighted blogs. So far I have had no problems. I also have google analytics set up so that I can see who comes to my blog. All this said so that if you really didn't want to go to password protection then you could maybe change some of the settings and see if that helps.
I've actually made those changes, Steph, but a little late. They can still get to my pictures if they have the direct blog post link. AND we found out that even if you put a password on it the cookies are still available.
This really stinks! I'm so sorry!
Thanks for explaining Ally. The tracker is a good thing to have on any blog. It is so sad that there are so many sickos out there and scary!!
Hey Ally! I just wanted to let you know that the visit to your blog from Poteau, OK is Me!! :) I'm visiting family and didn't want you to think some crazy perv was buggin' ya!!
Love ya!!
That's so sad, Ally! We decided to go private after I had a scary and vivid blogstalker dream, and we didn't want some of Derek's clients to have easy access to our private life. But I agree that it is so annoying to make everyone sign in! Good luck and I hope this doesn't happen again.
Post a Comment