Thursday, August 17, 2006

First Day of School...

Wow, what an exciting day for Josie, Jaed and the parents. Josie had to catch the bus at 8:05 this morning so we got her up and fed her breakfast. She was so excited and kept asking if the bus was there yet. She had a new outfit and new shoes to wear.....she looked so dang cute. She put her backpack on about 20 minutes early and wouldn't even consider taking it off. I was very nervous about her riding the bus. But Thayne kept reassuring me that she would be okay. The bus finally came and she ran right to it. I followed her up the bus stairs and she stopped when she got to the top. They had a teacher on the bus to sit with the kids, so Josie looked at her and then me and her eyes started to get a little big. I quickly told her to give me a hug and kiss and off she went. I didn't want to drag out the "goodbye", but I was so scared to let her go. She was the first child on the bus and it seemed so big with just her on it. I said a quick little prayer and felt like she would be okay. Poor little Indi cried and cried when Josie got on the bus and it drove away. She just kept pointing at the bus and saying something that we couldn't understand. But we quickly started to distract her and she was fine.
A little before 12:00, Thayne, myself, and Indi went outside to wait for the return of the bus. When Indi saw it coming she started to screech and point. I think I was as excited as she was. Josie bounced right off the bus with a huge grin on her face. I asked the bus driver how she did and he said "She did great. She told us everything that was happening outside all the way home." Josie gave me a big hug and said "I at a school, Mom". I could tell she had a great first day!




















Jaed started to get ready for school after Josie left. He was so excited that Thayne, me, and Indi were all going to walk him to school. He kept telling Indi that she was going to see his school but she couldn't stay cuz she was a baby. I was really worried about how he was going to react to the new school and if he was going to behave or not. I said little prayers all the way to his school. When we got into his class he went right to his teacher and asked where he put his backpack. She showed him where and then he was off to play. Indi wore her backpack to his school too and she tried to hang it up with his. I told her to keep it on and that we were leaving and she said "NO". Jaed turned to us and said "Bye Mom, Bye Dad" and Indi did the same, but she added a little wave. I felt so sorry for her, but I knew she'd be okay.
I introduced ourselves to the teacher and was impressed with the classroom and how it was set up. He has two teachers and there are about 15 kids in his class. I was feeling really good about the decision to put him in this preschool. We finally left and Indi seemed to be okay when we left until we got out of the school. Then she just cried and cried all the way home. When we walked in the house, she saw that "Barney" was on the t.v. so she went right over there and sat down and watched it without another tear.
We arrived a little early to pick up Jaed and had a chance to visit with the teacher. I asked with my teeth clenched, "So how did Jaed do?" and she responded with a chuckle, "Well, he's a loud little boy". I started to laugh and said "Well if that's the worst your going to say I am very happy". She said he did great although they did have to remind him several times to use his "inside voice". I told her that we would work on that at home. I packed Jaed a lunch and other kids in his class had "hot" lunch from the school cafeteria. His teacher said that when he was done with his lunch he pointed to one of the "hot" lunches and said "I think I'm ready for that now". She said she had to pinch herself so she wouldn't laugh and explained to him that he ate his lunch and that lunch was for the children that didn't bring lunch. He's so dang cute!! I told the teacher that I would add a little more in his lunch so he was full next time, she just laughed.



















So, the first day of school for both my kids was a complete SUCCESS!! My love for them grew a little more that day and I was so proud to be their mom. I have the best kids!

2 comments:

singin'mama said...

Yeah for you! I think it will not only be a good break for you but it will really benefit their development.

Anonymous said...

Your blogs are so great makes me feel a part of what is going on each day with you and your family, especially when you put up pictures, helps me not be so homesick for those sweet grandkids.