Monday, February 25, 2008

T.V.

Is t.v. bad for kids? That's the burning question. Every other Mom would probably scream "YES" but me....hmm........I just don't know if I agree. Well, my actions would say that I completely don't agree, I think, but I'm still on the fence. I allowed my girls to participate in a hearing and speech research project where they tested they ability to hear and say certain things. While we were there Indi was coloring on a piece of paper while the professor was trying to talk to her. Indi didn't say much at first but then blurted out "Catapillars turn in to butterflies!". I was amazed that she knew that and the professor must have been too. She asked Indi if her mom taught her that and Indi replied, "No, I learned it on Wonder Pets (a children's t.v. show)". I started laughing! I wanted to yell "Yippee for Wonder Pets", but I controlled myself and just laughed.

Yes, my kids watch t.v. a lot. I do have to admit that when I had my oldest child and he was getting to the age of wanting to watch t.v. I tried to limit it and only allow 30 minute a day. WELL...that stopped as soon as I was pregnant with my third child. I was sick and would rest on the couch while they other two watched movies and it never went back after that. Do I feel guilty about it? NOPE!! Not at all. I control what my kids watch and that's what counts for me. I even try to emphasis the good messages of the show when it's appropriate. Do I think other Moms are bad for limiting t.v.? Not at all! More power to them! I think that every mother has to make a decision on what's best for their family and we're not all going to make the same choice which is okay. We are all just trying to do our best and sometimes we're just trying to survive another day! I found a "All Dogs go to Heaven" movie at the second hand store and the kids have watched it a couple of times now and love it. Well, the other day Josie said something about all of us going to heaven when we die and Indi spoke right up and said, "No, Josie, only doggies go to heaven not people!". After laughing and hugging Indi, we had a little talk about heaven and who goes there.

2 comments:

Shawny said...

I'm amazed (in a good way) at the things my 3-year-old learns from TV. We'll always have a lot of TV in our house because my husband loves it. He always tells me how much he learns from TV, which I always rolled my eyes at, but I do think that it's true. It's all in what you watch.

Anonymous said...

Wow! this blog comes from a Mom (Ally) who didn't have a TV in our home until she was 3 yrs old. One time I caught her looking behind the TV and frowning, when asked what she was doing, she said, "How do those people get in the TV?" Her children have inherited her wonder of it all!!