Monday, October 30, 2006

Like Mother like son

I need to start off telling you a little story from my past so that you can understand the gene that I have passed on to my son.

When I was in 5th grade my parents let me get a neighborhood paper route. The first couple of weeks deliverying papers was fun but then it started to get old. My neighborhood friends started tagging along on my paper route and keeping me company which was nice. Then I slowly started letting them throw the papers to the door, and even roll the papers and put the rubber bands on. Within the next couple of weeks I had several neighborhood kids rolling ALL the papers, and deliverying them for me while I played at home and waited for them to finish and report how they did. I remember giving them each a dollar for the month for helping me. This went on for sometime until my parents found out. Boy, did I get into trouble. I had to give up my paper route and got a huge lecture about doing my own job.

Well yesterday we had a "cleaning party" here at our house and I sent Jaed to his own room to pick up his toys while Thayne and I cleaned the kitchen. I heard Jaed calling for Josie and Indi and then saw the girls running up the stairs to Jaed's room. When Thayne and I finished the kitchen, I decided to check on how Jaed was doing. When I got close to Jaed's door, I heard him say, "Ok Josie, now put all my legos in this bucket here. And Indi, you pick up my dragons and put them over there." I quietly peeked inside the room and saw Jaed seating on the bed with a book in his lap and the girls where crawling all over the floor picking up the toys. I guess Jaed thought they needed a bit more motivation because he said, "If you pick up all the toys girls, I'll let you play with three legos." Indi eagerly responded, "OK!". I decided to break up the slave labor scene and walked in the room. Jaed's eyes got huge and jumped off the bed and started picking up toys. I told the girls to go see dad and Jaed and I had a little talk about doing his own job.

2 comments:

singin'mama said...

Ha!ha! Sounds like a pretty smart kid. Someday he'll be rich because he'll know how to delegate.

My Many Coloured Days said...

Hilarious! Does he know your story behind the gene?!