Monday, August 23, 2010

School time!

Wow, this summer RAN on by without even waving at us. Completely uncalled for and unacceptable!! The new school year creep up on me and I was in a frenzy this last weekend to try and accomplish all I wanted to do before the first day of school arrived. Our first day of school was quite successful. The kids were excited and dove right into their new books. It warmed my heart to see them so excited to do school work. When you homeschool, you don't get the "first day of school" photos that you would normally. My kids stayed in their pj's until lunch time so my pictures wouldn't have been that pretty (especially with some of the hairdo's that they woke up with!).

Last night, for Family Night, we talked about the school schedules and what was expected of each of them. We even put a new rule in place. Most of you that know me, know that I have never put a limit (time limit) of TV watching in our house. I know, I know.......blah blah blah. I don't want any lectures or mean comments! Well, Thayne and I decided that we would make a new rule about TV watching. There would be NO t.v. watching during normal school hours (9 a.m. to 3 p.m.), even if they finished all of their schoolwork before noon (which they almost always do). We feel like they need to be more active and sprawling out on the floor to watch t.v. wasn't our idea of a being active.



At Family Night, they all were fine with the new rule which was a shock to us. Well, when the rule had to be enforced.......well.....let's just say the pouting, crying and begging began. It was like they were begging for their drug they were addicted to. I do have to say that if Thayne wasn't here I think I would have gave in. They were missing their favorite shows, there was nothing to do, life sucks....etc. etc.. They were all counting down the minutes until 3 p.m.. I think after a week of this new rule, things will calm down and it will just be apart of the schedule. I'll let you know how it's going!

4 comments:

Lori said...

I'm so glad that homeschooling is going well for you! Good luck with the tv limits!!

Shawny said...

My husband is a big advocate of educational programs on TV. He LOVES TV and I can't argue how much he and the kids learn. I'm not a huge enforcer of TV time either, but I think that will probably change once school starts. Stay strong!

Autumn said...

Great rule! So glad you had a great first day! Ours will be in a couple of weeks still! Wish you lived close so we could get together and let the kids play! xoxoxoxo

Sally said...

You should read the Berenstain Bears Too Much TV. It's about this very concept you're trying to enforce. Good luck with the school year Ally!