Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Playdates

As we have started to really settle in and gotten to know our neighbors, other than the cranky old ones, we have met a family two houses down that have two boys. Well, one couple has an 8 year old boy and then there is a mother and her 8 year old son that lives there with them. It's a bit non-traditional but they seem normal......I guess. Thayne took Jaed over there last weekend to meet the boys and their parents. The boys seem to get along well and Thayne said that the parents seemed ok, but we both are so paranoid that we don't know what to do from here. We told Jaed that he wasn't allowed to go in their house for a while and that if he wanted to play with the boys, they had to come to our house or ride their bikes. The boys have come to our house twice and have enjoyed themselves but now they are asking Jaed to come to their house. Thayne and I talked about it and decided that he could go over there for 30 minutes and then had to come home and check in. He leaves the house with his friends and both Thayne and I say a silent prayer that nothing will happen.

Before I had Jaed and worked with files of Juvenile sex offenders and learned all about their situations and how they were abused as children themselves. So much can happen in such a short period of time that you almost don't want your kids leaving your sight (or your home) for even a second. But, that obviously isn't possible so we prepare them and ourselves as much as possible. We are constantly talking to the kids about strangers and the other important stuff and hope and pray that nothing happens to them and if something does then we hope and pray that they will tell us right away. Unfortunately, pediphials come in all different types and you can't identify them by sight and behavior. This is when you rely on God to help you know if situations are safe for your children or not and follow any feelings you have. But it is so hard (at least for me!) to distinguish between paranoia and promptings sometimes.

Parenting is so hard and we make mistakes all the time but this is one situation I don't want to make a mistake in.!

1 comment:

Lori said...

I worry about this and we haven't even started having playdates yet! We've been lucky to have a cousin to have playdates with. Keep me posted on what you guys decide to do. I'm interested in you views because of your work background.