Sunday, October 21, 2007

Deception IS GREAT!!

From my title you're probably wondering what evil thing has taken over my mind! I have been deceiving my family for that last several weeks and I LOVE IT!!! I never thought it could be so much fun.

Ok, back to reality! I watched the Oprah show several weeks ago and Oprah was introducing a new book by Jerry Sienfield's wife called Deceptively Delicious. The book teaches you how to puree veggies and sneak them in your food so that those eating it have no idea they are having a healthy meal full of veggies. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!!?! I don't have to threaten my kids anymore about eating their veggies, I don't have to hear a whole mealtime of whining, I don't have to look at scrunch up faces as they take a bite of veggies and act like they are going to die, AND I can be deceptive and don't have to repent for it :)> !!!

So, with learning all new things there is always trial and error while striving for perfection (at least for me). Some of my meals have been fool proof and well.....others have been...hmm.....a little scary. I made Taco Soup tonight and decided to put pureed spinach in it. I guess I should have known that the color of the soup would have changed a little after I added the spinach but I was surprised how much. I was really worried that I would be hearing how "icky" it looked or that they can't eat green stuff but I had no need to worry. They ate it right up and Indi even told me several times "Tis is yummy, Mommy!". Once again, I felt proud of my deception!

Now, Thayne was not all fooled by the green Taco Soup. He scrunched up his nose several times and I almost thought he was going to refuse to eat it. After putting extra cheese on it so you could barely see the green soup, he agreed to try it. After several bites he admitted that it was good but he was having problems getting over the color. I do have to admit that every time I took a bite I had to remind myself that there was nothing wrong with it. I think next time I make the soup I'll try carrots or beets instead.

Here's a visual of the soup (I don't think the picture actually catches the real color. The soup was much greener than it appears!):















Here's the kids eating the soup:

(Jaed)



















(Josie)













(Indi)

5 comments:

Camie said...

Ally--
I'm so glad to hear your endorsement of this book--I've also been wanting to get it, but I wasn't really sure I could pull it off!! Thanks for the encouragement!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Greg is the KING of this! I may need to check out that book for guidance!

Steph said...

I LOVE IT! This made me laugh! So maybe you could post a couple of your recipes on my recipe blog! If you're interested just email me and I'll set you up as a contributor! gibsoncasa@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Love it! Sneaking veggies is the best!

Danielle and Derek said...

Good job sneaking in the spinach - I need to do more of that. If only there was a way to sneak veggies into Spencer's staple -cold cereal!