Jaed was invited to a birthday party for his friend at school, but it is on Sunday. When I picked him from school he asked all the way home if he could go and I just kept saying, "we'll have to talk about it.". I knew that he wasn't going to be able to go but I didn't want to tell him without Thayne and I talking to him first about why we he can't go. We decided before we had children that Sundays were for church and family time which meant no parties, no play-dates, etc.. So, when Thayne got home we sat down with him and told him that the party was on Sunday and asked him what we usually do on Sunday. He answered, "go to church", but he wasn't very happy about it. We told him that Jesus would really want us to go to church and spend the day with our family and he said, "Well...Jesus wants me to be happy and the party would make me happy!". Thayne and I just sat there for a few seconds trying not to laugh at how cute he was. Finally Thayne said, "Jaed, Jesus wants us to go to church so we can learn about him and you can't do that at the party. Also, mommy and I have a rule that Sunday's are for spending time as a family after church so that's why you can't go to the party.". Jaed was so sad. I almost just wanted to say, "Ok, you can go!" but I knew I couldn't. Jaed cried in his room for quite a while. Thayne and I decided to tell him that he could go to the store and pick out a present for his friend even though he wasn't going to the party and Jaed turned his frown into a huge smile and said, "That will be great!". So, we all took a trip to the store and Jaed could hardly stand it. Everything he saw he said, "I know Ritchie would love this!". Thayne had to help Jaed pick out a gift while I tried to keep the girls from grabbing stuff and throwing it in our cart. They couldn't quite believe that they weren't going to get anything. We did leave the store with Indi crying because she saw a princess that we had to pry out of her hands but by the time we got home everything was fine.
Jaed took the gift to school with him this morning and he went right up to Ritchie and said, "I can't come to your party because we go to church on Sunday but here's a present for you." We were so proud of him.
1 comment:
AWESOME!!
Post a Comment