Thursday, August 11, 2011

Service

A friend of mine found an organization that finds people or groups to prepare sack lunches and then distributes them to the homeless here in our area. When she was telling me about it I thought it would be a great opportunity for our family to participate. We get together once a month and make the sack lunches and then the next morning we take them to the designated spot and help hand them out to the homeless that come. Our first time doing it was the week before school started so my older ones were able to come and help with the distribution. They were so excited about doing it. We had a talk before we went about what the word "homeless" meant and they all seem to understand. Well, the moment we got out of the car, Josie yells, "Where's the homeless??". Of course, there was a line of homeless people already forming to wait for their lunches. I was dying! I immediately went over to her and told her that they are people with names and that she shouldn't call them "homeless people" to their faces.

Each of my kids were able to help hand out a food item as the people came down the line. Josie was in charge of handing out the danishes and she took her job very seriously! She would have a danish in her hand and if the person tried to ask for a different one she would say, "Um, sorry this is the one I have in my hand!". Of course, the person would chuckle and take the danish and thank her but I'm was dying.

Kaia was in charge of handing out the little straw for their coffee. What a mess! She wanted to put it in their cup and not just hand it to them, which caused some coffee splashing. She would try and stick the straw in the cup but it would get stuck on the side so then she would either keep pushing the straw down or pull it out and shove it in again. Each time more coffee would splash out and sometimes it would land on the hand of the person. I was there with a napkin trying to wipe off hands, the table and any clothes or shoes it landed on as well. I tried to tell her to just hand the straw to them and not in the coffee but then the next person would come up and put their cup out towards Kaia for her to put the straw in it, so what else what she was she suppose to do.

Zoey was so scared of the all the toothless men that wanted to talk to her that she was constantly hanging on to my leg with her face buried in my pants. Needless to say it was quite an experience but one that will hopefully be remembered a great time of service!
Here's our sack lunches and the kids are ready to start handing them out! Not sure what's wrong with Josie, but she's not looking very happy.


















Here's the line that the people go through to get the lunches and other food that was donated. There's Kaia with her straws...ready to start splashing some coffee!


















Here we are all together!







2 comments:

Lori said...

I laughed so hard at Josie yelling where's the homeless?!! That is such an amazing experience to have with your kids. I should look into doing something like that. You're an awesome Mom Ally!!

Mom said...

What a good way to teach service. Obviously Josie was way excited to begin the minute she got out of the car and she certainly was in charge of who gets what danish. Glad mom had a pant leg Zoey could hide in or she might have been under your dress. I found the word Kaia in Talalog means "can do", fits our girl. Love you guys bunches.